Blog Archive

Saturday, December 11, 2010

San Martin De Los Andes, Argentina to Encuentro Fly Fishing Lodge, Argentina

After nine days and over 1250km of mind numbing cycling into ferocious headwinds from Mendoza to San Martin, we were about as ready as ever to take a very long and very tranquil break.  This photo of the squadron of mosquitoes awaiting our exit from our tents every morning pretty much sums up this less than desirable stretch of the trip.

I must apologize before hand as this blog may seem a little like an acceptance speech as we have about 1000 people to thank. The hospitality and generosity of the people we have met, stayed with and fished with over this last stretch has been unprecedented. After spending months in Peru and Bolivia where there is not much in the way of hand outs or appreciation for some crazy gringo's environmental cause, it has been quite a shock to see the support we have received further south.

The first person on our list of “shout outs” must be Maxi, owner and operator of the Bike Hostel in San Martin De Los Andes. Maxi greeted us at the front door with a level of energy that would put a smile on even the most weary of cyclists. Maxi's passion for cycling is unmatched by anyone I have ever met and just being around him made us proud of what we are doing. Every few minutes he would tell us how jealous he was of our trip. Coming from a guy who constructed a bike out of bamboo and rode it all the way to Buenos Aires this meant a lot to us. Maxi was also very impressed with our bikes as they were the same design that the infamous Goat used from the Riding the Spine team that did our same trip a couple years ago and also stayed with Maxi. Goat (Goat is his actual name) did the entire trip from Alaska to Argentina without ever once putting on a pair of shoes and without ever once taking off his enormous Abe Lincoln style top hat. Needless to say this is a hard character to forget and we have found that everywhere we go everyone always asks us if we know him. Although we did not even come close to Goat's 3 months which he spent at Maxi's hostel we did spend a good deal of time there and Maxi was kind enough to allow us to store our stuff there while we traveled back to Santiago. When asking Maxi if he this was okay he responded with his favorite English saying, “Fuuuuuuck You,” which, among many other things, meant “no problem.”

After a very peaceful night of sleep that was not interrupted every 5 minutes by the top of our tents slapping us in the face from the hurricane winds outside, we caught a 6am bus to beautiful city of Santiago by way of the not so beautiful city of Temuco. We arrived in Temuco around midday and found out that all buses to Santiago do not leave until 9:30PM at the earliest so we spent the day walking around the city eating an ungodly amount of street food. When we got on the final bus to Santiago we were ready to catch a few Z's but to our delight there was a toddler sitting right in front of us screaming bloody murder for about 6 straight hours. This is why when other travelers ask us why we would ever want to travel so far by bicycle our answer is simple, “It's a million times better than the bus.” My knees and ankles hurt more after one day of bussing than they ever had in over 17 months of cycling.

When we arrived in Santiago at 6am in the morning and concluded our 24 hour trip from San Martin, I found a phone to call Don Jon May, father of our friend and riding companion from back in Ecuador, Thomas May.

Jon told us to take the Metro (which I must say is one of the most simple public transit systems I have ever been on) to his restaurant, “Tortilla Factory” in Los Condes. We took the Metro part of the way and walked the rest as we wanted to get a good look at this old and historic city. It had just snowed two days before we arrived and we were lucky enough to experience a very rare clear and sunny morning and to enjoy the beautiful backdrop of the freshly snow covered mountains. Upon arrival Jon greeted us with a treat that we had been craving for almost an entire year, Mexican food. Jon soon learned that if asked we will not turn down any sort of food or beverage so about an hour after arriving we had sampled most of Jon's very impressive menu and put down a couple of our favorite Mexican beers. From the restaurant we made our way over to Jon's buddy Marc's fly shop, Del Norte Outdoors, just around the corner. Marc is to fishing as Maxi is to cycling. Here is a guy who lives fishing and spends most of his time either on the river or in the shop and when you first meet him you would think he just discovered the sport for the first time. Just being around Marc and listening to his many stories of the rivers that we would soon be passing, made us want to take a bus right back to San Martin and get on with the trip. After an hour and a half of taking notes and mapping out the best we could hit in Patagonia we headed back to the restaurant to meet up with Matt “El Gigante” McKinney who was bussing in from Valparaiso after spending a few days on the coast. When we arrived, Matt was well into his sampling of the Tortilla Factory menu and we joined him to test the few remaining items we had somehow missed during round one. Here we also met one of the other owners named David who is an avid sailor and shared with us some excellent stories of traveling the globe by way of water and wind.
We cleared out of the restaurant so the rest of Santiago could have a chance to eat and caught a ride with Jon's son, Paul, to their decent little house up in the mountains. When we pulled into the driveway we all sighed and got ready for a week of tough living. HA! Far from it. Jon's pad overlooking the city is nothing short of spectacular! 

 We could not believe how lucky we were to have met Thomas in Ecuador who told us his father loved to fish and that we should contact him when we got to Santiago. Between the nightly feasts, daily BBQ's, drinks at the restaurant, hikes in the mountains, hours spent pool side, tours around the city, and late night arguments on theology and American politics, I can truthfully say this was one of my favorite experiences of the trip. We can't thank Jon, Paul, and Camila enough for their hospitality and making us feel welcome long after we should have hit the road.

Seth took off to meet Eliza at the airport and assist her with the enormous duffle bag that she so graciously hauled half way across the world for us yet again. And once again we must thank her again for helping us in this manner. Without these deliveries that both her and our Mom put many hours into coordinating I do not know what we would do. Between the hassle of tracking down all of the bike parts and replacement camping equipment and transporting it all down here we are truly lucky to have these two women in our life. Seth and Eliza headed out to the coast for a few nights in Valparaiso. Here are a couple photos from their stay: 

On our 2nd to last night in Santiago Matt and I returned to Marc's fly shop to give a short presentation on our trip and cause during a little party he was hosting for the release of the new a G-Loomis rod. This was a great opportunity to spread the word on the Pebble mine to an audience who truly cared and also to learn of many similar projects that currently threaten the many rivers of Patagonia.  It was also a great opportunity to talk to two G-Loomis reps about future trips and possible sponsorships. There would not be a better company to team up with in the future than Shimano, that makes both top of the line fly fishing and cycling equipment. At the end of the presentation Marc, with his infinite amount of positive fishing energy, presented me with a brand new 5' rod, reel and case along with 40 new flies to use in Patagonia. Once again, we were stunned by this incredible act of generosity and ask ANYONE who plans a fishing trip ANYWHERE in Chile or Patagonia to visit Marc at Del Norte Outdoor before starting their journey. You know a guy knows his shit about fishing when his toilet looks like this. 


After the party Camila and her friend, Pamela, took us out to experience a little Santiago nightlife, which means going out to a club at 2am and partying until dawn. I never thought I would say this but Gob bless the 2am law in the US. When you are used to going to sleep every night about an hour after dark whether that be 6PM or 9PM it is tough to even stay up late enough for the clubs to open. Nevertheless we sacked up and had a great time dancing our faces off until morning.

We were very, very sad to leave Santiago but the trip must go on so Matt and I hopped on another double decker scenic cruiser from hell to meet up with Seth and Eliza in Pucon, Chile. It really is difficult to do this town justice with words so here are some pics to better illustrate its true grandeur: 

In Pucon we went on some great hikes, rented some bikes, and visited some magical hot springs. However, only Seth and Eliza were creating the magic in the hot springs as Matt and I had decided to return to San Martin after only 3 days in Pucon to kick it with our pal Maxi. However, I did actually pay money to rent a piece of shit bicycle for an entire day to ride around town.

We returned to San Martin and were once again greeted at the door of the bike hostel by Maxi who gave us warm and welcoming, “Fuuuuuuck You.” The next couple of days were spent reading and chilin as the weather had turned for the worst. By the time Seth returned from Pucon, where he said farwell to his special lady friend, Eliza, the weather had improved tremendously. Matt and I decided to go for a ride around the lake and were stunned by the scenery and for the first time truly felt like we were in Patagonia. Matt had to ride my bike as we could not find one big enough for him to rent in town. He also refused to wear anything over the spandex I lent him. 


The weather held the following day so Seth and I decided to push onward and meet Matt a few days later in Bariloche. We were also looking forward to determining the validity of the rumors concerning a certain Mr. Justin Dodd and the purchase of a brand new touring bike. On a very late night the previous month when we had met up with Justin in Mendoza he had stated that he was going to ride with us from San Martin to Bariloche. Considering he ended that night by jumping in the pool twice while still wearing all of his clothes we did not know how much merit his claims warranted. When in San Martin we received a long and drawn out email from Justin that started by apologizing for his rash and premature decision to cycle with us and that he had come to his senses and decided that after a year and a half of traveling around Central and South America he had better return home and begin looking for a job. Then after many paragraphs of describing the fear and dread he felt of returning home and resuming a life of working in a cubicle he skipped a few lines and added only one additional sentence: “Then I grew a pair of golden huevos and walked down the street and bought a brand new touring bike, tent, sleeping bag, and stove. I'm in for Ushuaia! Summer Bike Trip 2010!!!!”

The day we left the Bike Hostel in San Martin we did not get more than 30 miles before we heard a faint but distinct “Fuuuuuuuuck You” approaching us from behind. To our surprise Maxi was barreling down on us with his motorcycle and a grin from ear to ear. As if allowing us to freeload at his place for the last week was not enough he had brought us a backpack full of ice cold beers. After a very late start and an 18km climb while fighting a steady headwind we were ready to call it an early day. 

We camped that night next to a beautiful lake and decided to save the pass for the following day. We shared our camp sight that night with a German/Bolivian fellow named Kevin who had been staying at the bike hostel for the previous week waiting for a new camera to arrive from Buenos Aires. The weather held for the entire trip and we had been looking forward to finally getting out on the water and doing some fishing. Unfortunately, because we were unable to purchase our fishing licenses, we had to hold off until after Bariloche to get our lines wet. This was torture for us as the majority of the ride was next to beautiful crystal clear fish filled rivers. But being the conservation minded fisherman that we are (as well as not wanting to go to jail) we held off and just enjoyed the magnificent scenery.

This dog followed us this morning for over 15km. Not sure how he got back to town but we were glad for the extra company.

We met up with Justin at what he described as his favorite hostel of the entire trip called, 1004. This was certainly a unique place being located on the 10th floor of a residential/office building and boasted the best view in all of Bariloche with 360 degree views of the surrounding lake and snow covered mountain peaks. Sure enough Justin arrived with a brand new ride and 4 panniers full of camping gear. Never mind that both his tent and sleeping bag was purchased at the grocery store for about $17 each. Considering there is never any wind or rain in Patagonia we were not too concerned with the plastic tent poles or the cotton ball stuffing in his sleeping bag.

After we arrived I went to track down Matt who was staying at another hostel and we all went shopping for a traditional Thanksgiving feast of steak, mashed potatoes, and beer. After the feast we all went out to a local Irish pub at about 2am We had many things to be thankful for so the celebration lasted till dawn and needless to say nobody had any interest in cycling the next day. Instead we all caught a bus to a spot that Justin said we had to check out. Justin had stayed in Bariloche for 3 weeks earlier in his trip so he new the area quite well. After a short hike up a steep mountain we were very glad that Justin had convinced us to get off our hungover asses and out to see this magnificent view.

The next day everyone was feeling much better and it was time for Justin's debut on the bike. He could not have chosen a better stretch or had better timing with the weather to start his trip. We had planned to do very short days so we could fish a new river or lake every evening until we reached El Bolson. The first day we cycled about 45km to Lago Guillelmo and found an overgrown trail that led from the road to lake's edge with just enough room to camp at the end of the trail. Getting the bikes down this trail was no easy task and I could see that Kevin and Justin thought we were nuts to go through so much trouble just for the opportunity to catch a few fish. As I approached the end of the trail I looked out about 15 feet off the bank to see a 16” rainbow lazily cruising the opening of the long narrow stretch that led to the spillway. There was just enough current here for a steady stream of bugs to keep this guy happy and Seth and I could not rig up fast enough to give it a shot. After not seeing a feeding trout in over a year the anticipation was almost unbearable. Unfortunately, by the time Seth was ready to throw a cast the wind had picked up and we could no longer spot the fish in the crystal clear turquoise colored water. I decided to walk back down the trail and fish the spillway while Seth waded the heavily wooded lake shore to the best of his ability.

The spillway drained into a large pool that tailed off into a slow moving riffle that looked perfect for nymphing. As spillways usually are, this one was full of fish and I immediately got into a number of small rainbows and brook trout. After satisfying the need to simply hook a few trout regardless of size or specie I moved up to the foamy whirlpool directly under the spillway. I traded my nymphs for a much larger white bead headed woolly bugger and started at the bottom of the pool where I pulled out a little larger 12” brook trout. In all the fishing I have ever done this is actually on the larger end of the scale for this type of fish. After I released the brookie I moved up to the head of the pool and let my streamer catch the swirling current that moved directly back into the pounding water. Just as I grabbed my line to start stripping I felt a jerk and I set the hook half believe that I had snagged a log. To my relief my line shot out of the waterfall and deep into the foamy pool where I knew I had a better chance of landing this fish. After the initial run this fish did not want to move anywhere other than the bottom of this deep pool. After a few minutes I was able to turn his head and as it broke the surface I was amazed to see the biggest, darkest, fattest brook trout I had ever seen in person. This was a big ole male with an enormous hook jaw and almost black skin. Of course in my haste to get out on the water I had forgotten my camera so I measured him and held it up for Justin then released him back into the pool. The fish came in at an even 20” and my hand could only cover about half of his girth. The rest of the evening I did not land anything over 8” but could not be happier.

When I returned to camp the wind had once again died but two gear fisherman had found our feeding rainbow and were slamming spoons on top of his head. It was not long before the fish disappeared and so did the two gear fisherman. Seth was patiently waiting and as soon as they left he tied on a small parachute adams and waited for the fish to return. About an hour later with only a few minutes of dusk remaining I heard the tell tale splashing and new Seth had finally stuck that fish. He could now in good conscience set down his rod for the night and we all ate dinner around a fire thoroughly content with our first day of fishing in Patagonia.

The next day as we pushed our bikes through the over grown thorn bushes back to the road we spotted our friends Bart and Griet who we had met months before in Copacabana, Bolivia. 

After catching up we all set off together and they decided to join us for another short day of cycling which again ended on a river. The fishing here was not great but we were able to land a few small rainbows on nymphs before it got dark. That night Justin's $17 grocery store tent was put to the test when the rain began falling only a few minutes after we tuned in for the night. In the morning Justin declared that his first order of business upon reaching El Bolson was to purchase a new tent and sleeping bag.

While Justin went in search of a new tent and bag we went shopping for what turned out to be another large feast. We also checked our email and saw that Pancho Panzer from the Carrileufu Valley Lodge located in the nearby Alerces National Park had responded to our previous emails and invited us to take a break and stay at his place for a couple days. This was and an unexpected and extremely generous offer as Pancho's outfit is first class luxury all the way from the gourmet food to the knowledgeable and experienced guides. We almost didn't know what to do when we awoke the first morning to the most impressive breakfast spread we have seen in well over a year. Even more, we were the only “guests” in the entire lodge meaning there were as many chefs as there were people eating their food. Meal after meal we could not be more fulfilled by Nico and Roberto's culinary masterpieces.

After breakfast we met Facu who would be guiding us for our day on the famous Rio Rivadavia which is considered by many to be the most beautiful river in the world. 

We were not let down as we approached the put-in and saw the classic turquoise blue water and picturesque snow covered mountain backdrop. Just as we began to gear up the wind died down and the rain began which was great news for us as rain is far more tolerable than strong wind when casting flies. The put-in is located right near the mouth of the Rivadavia on Lago Rivadavia and is the beginning of the 9km float that is actually the entire length of the river. Facu suggested we start off with big dries as the water near the mouth is slow and large fish hold up against the heavily wooded banks. We pounded our dries up against the bank for about 1km without moving and fish so we switched over to our 250 grain sinking tip lines and tied on streamers. Within my first few casts I hooked into this healthy rainbow that immediately took me into my backing. Granted I had the drag set very loose and was babying the fish like someone who had not landed a good sized rainbow in a long time but still, not bad for the first fish of the day.

Seth was soon to follow and landed this brown trout not more than a 100 meters down the river.

The rest of the day went pretty much the same with consistent action on the streamers all the way up to the take-out located on Lago Verde. 

By this time the rain had stopped and the wind had returned just in time to make Facu's job of traversing the lake a hell of a lot more difficult. All and all a very productive day on a stunning piece of water that we are sure to return to in the future. The rest of that evening was spent back at the lodge sipping whiskey next to the fire sharing fishing photos and stories with Facu enjoying a level of luxury well beyond our means. 

To our disbelief Pancho emailed us again that night and invited us to stay yet another day and fish the Carrileufu with Facu informing us we needed to experience both of these rivers before moving on. Sold.

The Carrileufu is a bit longer than the Rivadavia and is split up into three floats: upper, middle and lower. Facu said his favorite section is the upper as it holds the most Atlantic salmon so we took off the next morning for the mouth of the upper section located on Lago Cholila. When we arrived at the put-in Facu picked up a small boulder from the river to show us the amount of bugs these fish had to feed on. The rock was completely covered in small dark midges and as we looked around we could see that the entire river bed was covered in midge larva. When we walked out into the river we could see fish lining up behind us to feed on the bugs we were kicking up. We rigged up our rods with double nymphs, small bead head on top and size 20 midges below with 5x tippet. While this is not your typical Patagonia fishing we invited the challenge of some more technical fishing after the previous day of only throwing large dries and streamers. We hopped in the boat and Facu rowed all of about 20 meters to the other side of the river where we got to fish the very first run. Facu told me to go fish a side channel while Seth was going to hit the main run.

As I approached the very small and very shallow channel I could hardly believe what I saw. In no more than 6”-12” of water there were 20-30 large rainbows stacked on top of each other feeding on an endless supply of midges being funneled off from the main river and into their waiting mouths. I slowly approached the line of fish and took a few false casts to get some line out and could hardly keep my hands from trembling with excitement. This is the type of scenario that truly calls upon one's skill as a fisherman using tiny flies, small tippet, and casting to very spooky fish in crystal clear water along a overhanging brush covered bank. I aimed as far above the first fish as I could and let my line drop on what I imagined would be a perfect and delicately placed cast. Instead I delicately fired my flies directly into the middle of a huge bush spooking all of the fish at the top of the run. Incredibly, the fish at the bottom of the run continued to feed so I marked the spot where my flies were hanging to retrieve at a later time and snapped my line. After taking a painfully long time to rig up another combo of size 20 nymphs and 5x tippet I was ready for round two. This time I moved below the fish and out into the middle of the run as I had come to terms with the fact that my current casting ability did not allow for another attempt from the side. Just as I was about to start casting Facu appeared from the bushes and saw the line of fish I was targeting and settled in for the show. An audience was the last thing I needed at this time but I was determined to catch one of these fish and restore my honor. After about 10 minutes of miserably placed casts and only moving one fish that surely felt sorry for me, I decided to retrieve my snagged flies and head back to fish some faster moving and less technically demanding water.

As I returned to the main river I could see that Seth had hooked up with what looked to be a nice fish. I hurried over with the camera as he pulled up a very strong and healthy looking Atlantic salmon. 

After taking a couple photos we switched places and he headed down to fish the lower part of the side channel while I fished the lower part of the main run. I wished him luck and tried to redeem myself in some excellent looking riffles. To my relief I immediately hooked into a salmon but lost him on one of his many impressive aerial displays. I moved down the riffle and landed another salmon and five other rainbows within about 10 meters of water. As before the fish were lining up below me to feed on the midges that my boots loosened from the rocks. After hooking the sixth fish my midge was toast so I went to go see how Seth did on the bottom of the side channel. While I am sure he put on a much more elegant display than I did the result was the same and we left these fish to frustrate some other fisherman while we continued our float. The rest of the day was much slower and we worked very hard to move and land a few more fish each but thoroughly enjoyed fishing yet another amazing river in the beautiful Los Alerces National Park.

That night Pancho joined us for dinner and we were very happy to have the chance to express our gratitude in person for his incredible hospitality. Like ourselves, Pancho shares a passion for traveling the world in search of excellent fishing and remote water. Listening to his stories of doing exploratory expeditions out of Kamchatka Russia was certainly a treat and definitely added another destination on our long list of places to fish in the future. For anyone planning to visit or fish Los Alerces National Park, staying at Carrileufu Valley Lodge is an absolute must and we highly recommend Facu as your guide and Nico and Roberto as your chefs. Other than that the beautiful park and world class rivers will take care of the rest. You can visit Carrileufu Valley Lodge's website at:

We were extremely sad to leave this fishing paradise the following day but still had the entire park to traverse and hopefully find Justin camping somewhere along the way. About 20kms into the ride I heard someone shout my name and turned to see Justin running after us as we almost blew right past him. He was camped out at a beautiful lake side campground and had decided to take the day off. We told him we were planning on fishing a spring creek that Pancho and Facu recommended and he decided to join us for the short ride there. 

The spring creek was the type of fishing that I always associated with Patagonia. The clearest water you can ever imagine with huge rainbows, browns, and brook trout lazily cruising along feeding on the large abundance of food in the nutrient rich water. The creek was relatively small water most of which was not wider than 10-15 feet. While walking the bank you could see every fish before you cast to it but the fishing was by no means easy. Incredibly, this picture perfect piece of water was public access and even more incredibly we only saw one other person there for about 30 minutes then had the place to ourselves. It took us a while to figure this creek out but once we found the correct fly and technique we were able to move some fish.

That evening we also found a beautiful and free lake side campground where we spent the night and left early the next morning to meet up with Benjamin Beale whose family owns and runs the Encuentro Fly Fishing Lodge located just outside of an old Welsh community called Trevalin. 

The lodge itself could not be in more prime location for fishing nestled in along the bank of the Futaleufu River. 

 Now when I say that this place is located on the river I am not talking about any ole random piece of water that they call their front yard. Their property line meets the waters edge in what we found to be our favorite run on the entire river. Just before their property begins the river makes a huge bend to the right creating a massive swirling back eddy which flows out to a classic underwater ledge on one side and a 200+ meter rock wall on the other. But I am getting a little ahead of myself so let me back up.

We were referred to Ben by another American lodge owner named Ron Sorensen who runs an outfit in San Martin de Los Andes. Ben responded to my email immediately and told us to meet him in Esquel by Dec 4th. When we arrived at the lodge Ben showed us right into our rooms which were only a stones throw from the river and walked us up to the lodge for a little BBQ. He informed us that he was going to be quite busy the whole week preparing for the arrival of some real guests so we were going to have to guide ourselves. To our astonishment he was going to just give us one of his brand new drift boats for the week and shuttle us to different spots of the river so we experience new water everyday.

The next morning we geared up while Ben told us we would be doing a long 20km float that ended right back in front of the lodge. Right as we thought the day could not get any better Ben stopped at the grocery store and bought us stuff to make lunch out on the river. On the way to the put-in Ben provided us with some last second advice on how to fish the Rio Futaleufu. As soon as we arrived he backed the boat into the water said good luck and was off. For the next hour and a half we caught good sized rainbows on small adams directly in front of the put-it.

Even though the rule is to never leave fish to find fish we had to start pushing down the river if we wanted to make it back by dark. Luckily, it did not take long to find more fish. We switched to our streamer set up and fished up close against the rock wall on the other side of the river and Seth immediately hooked into a nice brown. 

For the next few hours we traded off rowing and fishing after every landed fish and it was rare that either of us had to row for more than 10 minutes. 

The second half of the day was a bit slower so we changed one of our rods over to a nymphing set-up and were able to move a few fish. We switched back to streamers for the very last stretch of the float and landed three more rainbows directly in front of the lodge.

The next morning we woke up, ate breakfast, then walked right back down to where we left the boat the night before and resumed fishing. Today the plan was to cover the lower section of the Futaleufu and at around 8:30 or 9PM Ben would hop in a motor boat, come find us, and tow us back to the lodge. I can't tell you how nice it is to stay at a place where your lodging itself splits two unbelievably good pieces of water on the same river. Just like the day before we didn't get very far for the first two hours of the day as the fish would not let us leave. Seth and I took turns fishing the aforementioned rock wall directly in front of the lodge then back rowing up to the beginning of the run and repeating this process time and time again. Each pass we would land another fish and could not believe that the fishing could be so good right in their front yard. In the pics below note the lodge in the background.

When we finally got tired of back rowing this section, not of catching fish, we decided to continue the float and switched streamers to the biggest black and red monster we had. This turned out to be a huge stealhead fly that Seth had tied years ago that proved to be an even better brown trout fly. After switching to this fly we only caught browns averaging around 19” with the smallest being about 17”. 

This turned out to be our best day of fishing so far in Patagonia. And to Ben's relief he only had to go about 2kms to find us and a short tow home.

Today the sky opened up and the rain has been down pouring since we awoke. Out the back window we can see it snowing in the hills above the lodge. While we planned on taking the day off a huge mayfly hatch went off about noon and we could see trout boiling everywhere, gorging themselves on the abundance of top water food. We could not resist this blatant taunting and provocation so we layered up and made the long journey of about 50 meters down to our boat and rowed all of another 10 meters off the bank and taught those fish a lesson or two about having a feeding frenzy on a rainy day.

Tomorrow we have the pleasure of fishing with Ben who wants to take us to a new stretch of water that he recently discovered. He says the fishing is excellent but the river is quite wild so he wants to further familiarize himself with the more dangerous sections without risking the lives of paying customers. We are more than happy to assist Ben in this expedition and will report soon on the results and the second half of our stay at Encuentro Fly Fishing Lodge.


Anonymous said...

wow! what a horrible way to spend your december. my heart goes out to you.


Anonymous said...

We must have Telepathy. I was thinkg about your trip this morning and an hour later I was getting your e mail.. Great Fishing! Parker, send me your e mail, I lost it. Luis

TMay said...

I am glad you guys are having fun, those are some incredible fiching pictures... I wish I could be there...

Rick said...

Great narrative, beautiful photography. This is certainly "God's country!" Thanks for sharing these precious memories.

Fran├žois said...

hi Sath,

you were all sleeping deeply this morning !

"panaderia la union" is just great : free bed shower and food !

francois, the belgian triker

i'll find you on facebook

Pebble Pedalers's Fan Box

Pebble Pedalers